View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 25th, 2018, 3:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 License for code on Zach Saw's blog 

Post License for code on Zach Saw's blog
Hi,

I am attempting to contact Zach Saw.

We have this legacy tool still being used which uses code that belongs to you (from way before I joined the team),
specifically “SerialPortFixer” published on your blog, link: http://zachsaw.blogspot.co.il/2010/07/serialport-ioexception-workaround-in-c.html

The company I work at has been acquired by Cisco, and Cisco is very strict about using open source code in products.
I have been tasked with vetting our project.

I was unable to find any reference to the license under which source code is released on your blog. Without a license, we will not be able to use the source code.

My options are:
1. To attempt to convince you to re-release the code under an alternative permissive license :)
e.g. MIT, Apache, 3-clause BSD (I have learned a lot in the last few weeks about open source licenses)
2. Rip the code out, and … write my own or find another implementation with an appropriate license.

I am trying the first option since writing an email is faster than option #2 and Zach seems like a cool guy.

Regards,
Hezi Ben-Michael

P.S. I would prefer a reply by email, if possible

March 23rd, 2014, 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]