View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 17th, 2017, 10:41 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 [ANN] LANBench v1.0.6 released! 
Site Admin

Post [ANN] LANBench v1.0.6 released!
LANBench is a simple LAN / TCP network performance benchmark utility that is capable of testing performance over multiple TCP connections.

Check it out - http://www.zachsaw.co.cc/?pg=lanbench_tcp_network_benchmark

Have fun!

Report any bugs or thoughts here.

Cheers.

Update: v1.0.6 has implemented a workaround to sidestep Windows WOW64 OS bug (as described below). You can now safely run LANBench on 64-bit Windows.

Update: v1.0.4 has been released and has various bug fixes. Note that it is no longer possible to run LANBench under 64-bit versions of Windows until Microsoft fixes an OS bug (affects Windows 7 with latest updates too) that causes LANBench to potentially crash.

November 10th, 2009, 5:23 pm

Post Re: [ANN] LANBench v1.0.0 released!
Hi, this is the first time I try this application and I like it, I just have a question/observation. In the size of the packet you specify KB by the Size Box. If this is correct and I pick 2048 KB that is acctually 2Mbytes, is this correct? If so, most of the Network Devices must fragment the data in order to transmit it over media of up to 1500 bytes per frame. I am asking this so I can fine tune my testing.

Thank you!

January 13th, 2010, 12:54 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: [ANN] LANBench v1.0.0 released!
That is correct, based on the default MTU that is. Most Gigabit switches and network cards are capable of 'jumbo frames' (i.e. MTU size > 1500 bytes). Regardless, the packet size in LANBench is really the size in KB that is passed to Winsock per send call. Reducing this size increases the user space CPU utilization, thus reducing throughput.

January 13th, 2010, 6:23 pm

Post Few changes please
I tried LanBanch in my lan and I find It a very important diagnostic tool. I permit my self to suggest the ability to monitor the speed using Mbit and MBYTE units. In More the option to choose which type of data to transfer, for instance many small files or big archive to monitor the difference during the test. Thank you for all that you done until now. See you soon Paolo

June 3rd, 2010, 4:22 am
Site Admin

Post Re: [ANN] LANBench v1.0.2 released!
LANBench is designed to test your LAN speed and purely LAN speed only. There are disk benchmark utilities out there such as HDTach for what you have described. Also, it wouldn't be any more useful to introduce the disk speed into the equation - variables such as fragmentation, data already in cache etc. would tremendously affect the outcome of the test. So much that it would be meaningless.

June 5th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Tkank you for answering, I understood that no canghes will be made to the data transfert algorithms. Can I kown what type of data are trasmitted at the moment? In more I think that should be very usefull the ability to monitor the speed using Mbit and MByte units, not like now that are reppresented in Kbit that it is a measure unit more suitable for WAN connection than LAN connection. Thank you, Paolo

June 6th, 2010, 10:23 am
Site Admin

What does it matter what data is being transferred? LAN transport layer doesen't support compression, does it?
and what does it matter if it's shown being kbit or Mbit? You drop the last 3 digits mentally and there you go, Mbit.
I don't see how Mb is any useful either - e.g. when measuring say the performance of a gigabit ethernet,I can't fathom why anyone would want to see 200Mb/s rather than 1,000,000kbit/sec.

June 6th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Ok, your program it's the perfection. It is impossible to improve it. Good to know. Thank you for wasting your time with me. Bye, Paolo

June 7th, 2010, 4:52 am
Site Admin

There's really no need to get so bitter here Paolo. No need to get sarcastic as well.

You're entitled to your own opinion which in this case is different from mine. Like I said, I don't feel the changes you've suggested are necessarily any better for other users as well. You have to keep in mind that what you reckon is good isn't always the same for others.

June 7th, 2010, 3:18 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]