View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 31st, 2017, 11:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 CB2007 memory overrun issue with TBBMM 
Site Admin

Post CB2007 memory overrun issue with TBBMM
It appears that CB2007 suffers from memory overrun when TBBMM is used with CodeGuard enabled. CodeGuard would report a lot of memory overruns / invalid access on freed memory. What I've discovered is that if I increase the requested size for a memory allocation (GetMem) internally by 8 bytes, the problem goes away. I would think that some VCL code overruns its allocated memory in CB2007.

The good news is, this is no longer a problem in CB2009. If anyone is still using CB2007, I'd recommend upgrading to CB2009 the first chance you get.

Strange that CodeGuard does not catch the problem with FastMM - probably because FastMM is not as 'tight' as TBBMM (e.g. when down-sizing an allocation). Consequently, it would appear that TBBMM is much better at catching overrun bugs.

Note however, that the only difference between FastMM and TBBMM is in its small block allocation (i.e. allocation sizes below 8064 bytes) memory manager. So medium/large allocations will still behave exactly like FastMM.

November 19th, 2008, 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]